The people of the 90s generation will never forget using the landline Phone. Long-distance lovers and family members express their carings through this telecommunication. But the present scenario has changed 180 degrees. The availability of the latest mobile phone makes these landline phones backdated. Instead, people have started to forget the use of landline phones.
I became a member of the 90s generation and use landline phones because I dislike call drops while talking to my wife and children. I live 2,000 miles away from my family, but landline phones never let me feel that I am out of my family. Last month I bought a new landline phone, and I wanted to avoid installation charges. After researching, I could install a landline phone to the Wi-Fi router by myself.
Are you worried about how to connect landline phone to Wi-Fi router? Well, You don’t have to worry at all. I will share my experience, which will help you to save on the installation fee.
In simple words, a landline refers to a telephone where it connects to the telephone network through a metal wire. The landline transmits converted signals from audio data with the help of physical objects such as fiber optic cable or wire. Sometimes, the landline is called a dedicated line where a permanent connection has been established between two locations.
There are two types of landlines such as corded and cordless landlines. A corded landline connects through a wall jack to the provider’s cable. On the other hand, in a cordless landline, a jack connects the phone base to the cable. However, the handset is connected wirelessly.
Though we have seen the prevalence of mobile phones worldwide, we can not deny the importance of landline service.
Landline provides high-sound quality
It can work without electricity
There is no risk of hacking
Call drops will never happen on landlines.
Landline makes 911 communications easier.
Is landline phone installation possible by yourself?
Generally, if you want to install a landline phone, you have to pay fees to a professional technician. It won’t be a good idea to waste money on this simple task. You can complete the installation process by going through the guidelines about how to connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router.
Necessary devices for connecting landline phones to Wi-Fi router
First, you have to buy a landline phone if you want to connect the landline phone to your wifi.
After that, you have to buy a Wi-Fi router.
Then you will have to require an Ethernet cable for this purpose.
These devices are enough to connect your landline phone to the Wi-Fi network.
Step-by-step guidelines to connect landline phone to Wi-Fi router
Anyone could connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router if they had prior knowledge about it. This task is very simple to operate. You just have to follow some guidelines.
01. Turn off the router At first, you have to turn it off if you want to connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router. This step is regarded as one of the most critical steps. You have to keep in mind that you cannot unplug any wires unless you complete the power of the router. Otherwise, you may have trouble recognizing the port.
02. Ensure Ethernet wire connection In this step, an Ethernet wire is required. You will get Ethernet for free to your modem or router. If you wish, you can purchase it as well. After that, you must connect the Ethernet wire at the back of the router’s port. Next, you have to connect the other ends to the cable modem.
03. Attach your router to a PC An Ethernet cable is required to connect a router to a PC. You must connect one side of the Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the router’s backside. The other end of the Ethernet needs to be connected to the PC’s Ethernet outlet.
04. Connect your phone to the router This step is considered simple. You must connect a landline phone to the router through a cable. You will find a phone adapter port on the back side of the router. Finding the adapter port becomes more accessible because it is labeled as ‘Phone 1’ in the router. Your job is done. Now your landline is connected to the wifi properly. And if you wish, you can start using it.
05. Turn on the modem and PC Once you have completed your setup, you must turn on the modem and PC. Then you have to check the indicator’s light, and you will find they are starting to blink and become stable. You are allowed to use it when the indicator lights become steady.
06. Power on the router You have to connect the router to an outlet and turn it on. You are allowed to do this when your modem becomes stable. Then, you have to wait for the router lights to become stable.
07. Time to test landline You are ready to test the landline in this step. Your first call can start by calling your loved ones.
Two-in-one method for connect landline phone to Wi-Fi router
Almost every internet provider offers a method through which you can use one device as a router and modem. The setup for this method is slightly different.
01. Switch off the device You must turn off your device before you wish to connect any wires for your safety. 02. Find the phone port These devices work as a router and modems. At the back of the device, you will find all the outlets. From there, you have to find one port.
03. Connect the cable Plug in one end of the Ethernet cable in your device port and the other into the back of your phone.
04. Switch on the device Everything is set up perfectly. Turn on the router. You have to observe indicators of light. It means you are ready to use your phone when it gets steady.
05. Check your phone You have to check whether the phone is working correctly or not. You can order your lunch from a restaurant by calling them.
Configuring Wi-Fi router with landline
You have to follow some steps to configure your wifi router with a landline.
First, you have to open a browser. Then you have to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
Next, you have to enter your username and password.
Then, you have to click on the connection tab.
You have to click on the add option, which you will find under the phones section.
Then, you have to type some important information: Name: Landline Phone Phone Number: In this section, you must enter your landline phone number. Remember that you can not include any dashes or parentheses. Type: POST( it refers to Plain Old Telephone Service)
Click on the submit or add option. As a result, it will be added to the Wi-Fi router.
Things to check out before connect landline phone to Wi-Fi router
You could follow the steps mentioned above once you know about wifi routers and internet speeds. Knowing about these factors will affect land phone connection to the internet.
Let’s talk about the wifi router. It is impossible to connect a home phone without any wire. You must require physical links with your landline.
✓Various types of connection
Through DSL or cable connection, wifi routers connect to internet access. Internet provider companies like AT&T and CenturyLink have a DSL network. However, cable networks are available in the companies like Cox and Charter Spectrum.
Additionally, fiber connections are starting to take over slowly. The high infrastructure cost for installing these networks is the main reason behind the delay. VoIP landline phone use in these services.
✓ The speed of the internet
Your landline’s quality completely depends on the network speed. If you can ensure high-speed internet, then you will not face any call drop, and you will get a crystal clear voice. A DSL connection can be a little bit slow compared to a faster cable connection.
You will get up to 30 Mbps speed in DSL connections. However, a cable connection provides up to 940 Mbps speed. Many Internet providers have become a part of the 949 Mbps bandwagon.
For instance, Spectrum provides 100 Mbps and 200Mbps. They also have 400 Mbps and 900 Mbps speeds. Similar network speed is also provided by Cox communication. Your location plays a vital role in deciding the internet speed.
✓ Wifi Standards
In wifi technology, there are various standards which include 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. Each standard has different data transfer rates. Among all the standards, the 802.11n standard is the latest, and it transfers data at speeds of 940 Mbps.
These standards determine how fast data can be transferred over your connection. You must remember that you will get low internet if your wifi router does not have the highest standard.
Frequently asked questions
You may look for questions and answers about connecting a landline phone to a wifi router. For your convenience, I will discuss some common questions about how to connect landline phone to wifi router, which will help ease your tension about it.
Is it possible to connect a landline to wifi?
Yes. It is really possible to connect a landline to wifi. However, it is impossible to establish a wireless connection between the modem or router and the phone. For that, a physical connection is required.
If you have a wireless phone, it must be plugged into a phone port. By completing this setup, the modem can be worked as a voice-over-internet protocol(VoIP).
How can I be sure that my landline is working?
You will receive and make calls if your landline works. There is another way to know whether your landline is working or not. You can dial a particular number given by the service provider. Through these techniques, you can check your landline. If your landline connection works properly, this test will show you a green dot on the phone. It is a sign of good work.
Is a landline phone secure to use?
One can not hack traditional landlines easily. Therefore, it is more secure than VoIP. ISPs ensure well-organized encryption to protect your privacy.
Can you connect a landline phone to a router?
Certainly, you can. You should be able to connect a landline phone to your router if it has a phone port. Furthermore, you can connect additional phones to the wall phone jacks if your home wiring permits.
Through a phone splutter, you can connect multiple phones to the modem. To connect to phone service, one must connect a phone to the modem.
Is it necessary to have a modem for a landline?
If you want to use voice service on the telephone, you don’t need a modem. However, some service providers need to use a tiny ADSL adapter to separate the data from the voice.
Can I experience a call drop on the landline?
No, the landline is free of call drops, and it is a very positive side of the landline.
What is the sound quality of the landline?
The landline provides high-speed sound quality for its customers.
Is it possible to get a standalone phone service?
You can get standalone phone service if you don’t have the necessity of the bundle of the internet and cable TV. However, you have to ensure you have managed a cable outlet for connecting the landline.
Depending on the service provider, this option can vary. For instance, Charter Spectrum offers separate phone plans.
You may get thousands of features on the smartphone, but the charm of the landline phone will never diminish to the actual landline lovers.
If you want to hear your loved one’s voice without fear of a call drop and to get a crystal clear voice, you should start using a landline phone. By this time, you get to know how to connect landline phone to wifi router. Go and enjoy your talk.